CLOSE CALL can be performed for secondary schools, all year groups. The show can be performed at the schools themselves, for example in the gym or assembly hall. We can perform up to three times a day, for 150 pupils at a time. The show lasts around 40 minutes. After-show talks with the musicians are available upon request. A lesson plan related to the production is available for download here. With this you can prepare your class for content of the production they are about to see.
It is essential that the pupils install the app CLOSE CALL LIVE beforehand, preferably trying it out too.
The app is free and works on both iPhones and Android. Click on ‘app’ on this site for more information.
bookings and questions:
Please direct questions to Annemarie Bakker: firstname.lastname@example.org, 06-25308455
about the production:
CLOSE CALL is an interactive concert where you can play along on your smart phone with an incomparable band with three drummers. Your telephone becomes a musical instrument that anyone can play through the app CLOSE CALL LIVE, not only as individuals but also when playing together. Loops with your voice, bass lines, raging solos, soft bleeps, heavy beats: it’s all there in your phone! At the same time, CLOSE CALL is about the relationship with your smart phone. Do you also check your phone 221 times a day? Could you imagine a life without your phone? In short: are you playing your phone, or is your phone playing you?
See ‘info’ on this site for more information.
- 21-05-2022 Bellevue, Amsterdam. BAAAAAA. On tour until may 21. info
- 26-06-2022 16:00 De Vermaning, Zaandam. NEW MOON ORCHESTRA info
- 07-04-2022 Rewire festival, Den Haag. CLOSE CALL (for schools)
- 11-03-2022 20:30 Bellevue, Amsterdam. BAAAAAAA premiere
- 26-02-2022 Kelderfest, Deventer. SOUNDS LIKE JGGLING. 15:00, 19:00 and 20:00
- 16-01-2022 16:30 Verkadefabriek FluXus, Zaandam. New Moon Orchestra - CANCELLED DUE TO COVID RESTRICTIONS
- 22-12-2021 20:30 De Harmonie, Leeuwarden. GROEI - Susies Haarlok CANCELLED
- 21-12-2021 20:30 Zwolse Theaters, Zwolle. GROEI - Susies Haarlok CANCELLED
- 18-12-2021 14:30 Bimhuis, Amsterdam. GROEI - Susies Haarlok (new date)
- 17-12-2021 20:00 ECI Cultuurfabriek , Roermond. GROEI - Susies Haarlok CANCELLED
- 16-12-2021 20:00 De Kunstmin, Dordrecht. GROEI - Susies Haarlok CANCELLED
- 14-12-2021 20:30 Ins Blau, Leiden. GROEI - Susies Haarlok (new date)
- 10-12-2021 20:30 MIMIK, Deventer. GROEI - Susies Haarlok CANCELLED
- 04-12-2021 20:00 Cultuurcentrum Griffioen, Amstelveen. GROEI - Susies Haarlok CANCELLED
- 27-11-2021 20:00 Kikker, Utrecht. GROEI - Susies Haarlok
- 26-11-2021 20:30 DNK, Assen. GROEI - Susies Haarlok
- 25-11-2021 20:30 Frascati, Amsterdam. GROEI - Susies Haarlok
- 24-11-2021 20:30 Frascati , Amsterdam. GROEI - Susies Haarlok
- 23-11-2021 20:30 Frascati, Amsterdam. GROEI - Susies Haarlok
- 18-11-2021 20:30 De Lieve Vrouw, Amersfoort. GROEI - Susies Haarlok
- 17-11-2021 20:30 De Lieve Vrouw, Amersfoort. GROEI - Susies Haarlok
- 13-11-2021 20:30 De Verbeelding, Purmerend. GROEI - Susies Haarlok
- 11-11-2021 19:30 Theater aan het Spui, Den Haag. GROEI - Susies Haarlok
- 04-11-2021 20:15 Theater Rotterdam, Rotterdam. PREMIERE GROEI - Susies Haarlok
- 03-11-2021 20:30 De Nieuwe Vorst, Tilburg. GROEI - Susies Haarlok
- 29-10-2021 20:30 Ins Blau, Leiden. GROEI - Susies Haarlok (tryout)
- 24-10-2021 15:30 New Music Now, omroep ONS (televisie). Sounds Like Juggling - live registration on television (omroep ONS)
- 29-08-2021 Festival Spoffin, Amersfoort. SOUNDS LIKE JUGGLING 15:00 & 17:00
- 28-08-2021 Fest. Circusbende, Erasmuspark, Amsterdam. SOUNDS LIKE JUGGLING 13:30 & 19:00
- 22-08-2021 14:30 Slottuintheater, Zeist. SOUNDS LIKE JUGGLING sold out
- 21-08-2021 16:00 Boulevard / November Music, Den Bosch. SOUNDS LIKE JUGGLING
- 21-08-2021 19:00 Boulevard / November Music, Den Bosch. SOUNDS LIKE JUGGLING sold out
- 10-07-2021 20:30 Nieuwe Noten, Pleintheater, Amsterdam. SOUNDS LIKE JUGGLING
- 29-04-2021 online. kruisbestuiving sessie met Naturalis, SUSIES HAARLOK / GROEI, sign up: email@example.com
- 22-04-2021 online. scientific background SUSIES HAARLOK / GROEI, sign up: firstname.lastname@example.org
"We know who you are, we know where you've been, we can more or less guess what you're thinking about" (Eric Schmidt, CEO Google)
In CLOSE CALL, your smart phone becomes a musical instrument. You are no longer a passive audience member but a musician, joining an infectiously energetic band with three drummers.
Loops of your voice, solos, beats: with the special app CLOSE CALL LIVE anything is possible. Download and play along with the band, your phone can do more than you think!
But then… your telephone is hacked and the app starts to live a life of its own. Are you playing your phone, or is your phone playing you?
CLOSE CALL is also about your smart phone. Do Facebook and Google have the right to know everything about you? Do you also check your phone 221 times a day?
Do you suffer from dead battery anxiety? What effect does that have on you? The interactive concert CLOSE CALL makes your aware of the power of your smart phone in a unique way.
The app CLOSE CALL LIVE is free to download in the App Store (iPhone) and Google Play (Android).
Click on ‘app’ for more information and download links.
Take your phone with the to the concert, armed with the app and a full battery.
CLOSE CALL is the new music production of composer Arthur Wagenaar (Susies Harlock, Stads/Einder, Tafel van Vijf, Orkater).
Audience reactions: “Wow! That shit works!” “This is scary!” “We were a real orchestra!”
Press on earlier works: **** A production that bangs and explodes (Theaterkrant)
**** On the edge of your seat, thanks to the music (Parool)
**** Original theatre from musicians that have something to say (Volkskrant)
Credits: Arthur Wagenaar: concept, composition, text | Laurens van der Wee: app | Laurens van der Wee / Joep Hendrickx: phonemaster | Musicians: Marijn Korff de Gidts, Boy van Ooijen, Tjalling Schrik - drums; Sarah Jeffery / Verena Barie, Dodó Kis - EWI; Lotte Pen - tenorsax; Matthias Konrad - trombone; Axel Schappert - bass trombone | LABland: visuals, costumes | Stefan Hendriks: supporting programming | Gijs Oomkes: sound | Geert van Boxtel: dramaturgy | Rutger van Otterloo: business leader | Annemarie Bakker: producer | Bart Karpe: PR | Janco van der Kaaden: website
A production by Stichting Goed Bezig! in collaboratie with Gaudeamus Muziekweek
CLOSE CALL is on facebook too...
thank you!: FluXus Zaandam, MobMuPlat, HKU, Lotte Bos
Your telephone can do so much more!
With the CLOSE CALL LIVE app your telephone becomes a musical instrument. Download the app for free and play along.
How does it work? At the top of the screen you can choose from three instruments. VOCO for loops with your voice, MELO for melodies and bass lines, and RITMO for beats. You can play by tapping the screen, but also by tilting and moving the phone itself!
You can watch an instructional video here, or go to ‘help’ within the app. Or just start to play and discover it for yourself.